Being in a car accident is scary. Whether it’s a simple fender bender or a serious multi-car pile-up; everyone is scared and a shaken. It is tough to think straight in high pressure moments like these and require a lot of tough decision making. So, here’s a quick guide that should hopefully help anyone in these circumstances make the right decisions.
- Don’t leave the scene. It is important to stick around at the scene because if someone on the other end of the car accident is injured (or worse) than you could face serious criminal charges since it could be classified as a hit-and-run. Never leave the scene till an officer or person in authority says so.
- Check on Any Vehicle or Person Involved in the Wreck. It is so important to ensure the safety of everyone else in these situations. Many people get caught up in looking at the damage done to their car, when the other person in the wreck is unconscious or in more dire circumstances.
- Document the Accident.Once you have checked to make sure everyone is okay, we suggest pulling out your phone, and taking pictures of the scene. In high stress moments, people can tend to forget or misremember facts and details. Which is why we recommend taking lots photos of your car and any other car or property involved in the accident.
- Call your Insurance.Now it’s time to call your insurance company. Sometimes, this isn’t an option. Especially, in cases with extremely high damages to property. But they obviously need to be involved in this process if any compensation is to be had and that the law is followed.
- Keep an Accident Log.Now that the accident is over and that you’re back home, be sure to track your bills and expenses. This is to make sure that both sides can track what is due and that responsibility is divided justly.
- Call an Attorney.Even you don’t think an attorney can help, check with one to make sure. Often people will try to take advantage of these types of situations which will cause even further financial harm. Bringing an attorney in to help you walk through your decisions that you made, and the decisions that you can make moving forward will help bring new perspective to the situation and assist in bringing you some compensation.
Suffering from a serious accident can be a real tough time for many people and it doesn’t help with the extra pressure of finances. Sodhi Law Group has handled many personal injury cases. We have been on both sides of the equation and know how to help our clients get compensated fairly and accurately. Call us (209) 900-8200 or fill out our web form.